Spare ribs, albeit messy, are definite crowd pleasers when it comes to rustling up a delicious dish. Whether you choose a sticky and sweet Chinese marinade or a Texas style BBQ sauce, you can’t go wrong with spare ribs when feeding friends and family. Plus, you can choose to cook them in the oven or on the BBQ. So whether you want to eat al fresco or dine indoors, we’ve got the perfect recipes on how to cook spare ribs in the oven and on the BBQ.
CHINESE OVEN ROASTED SPARE RIBS
Chinese spare ribs is a classic takeaway dish, but why not try making your own? The sweet and sticky marinade will rival any you have tried before. Plus, this mouthwatering recipe can be cooked in the oven, making it the perfect fuss-free Friday night treat.
- 1 Rack Pork Spare Ribs
- 1tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 3 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- Cut the rack into individual ribs and place in a baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix the Chinese five spice, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey and rice vinegar.
- Pour the mixture over the ribs and use your hands to mix, making sure the ribs are fully covered.
- Marinate the ribs for 2 hours or leave overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to cook, heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (Fan)
- Place foil over the baking dish and cook in the oven for around 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and return to the oven for another 60 minutes. Make sure to turn the ribs frequently and baste with the marinade.
- Serve with white rice and chopped spring onions.
TEXAS STYLE BBQ SPARE RIBS
Who doesn’t love a BBQ? Enjoy some time outdoors with this BBQ coated spare ribs recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
- 1.3kg Pork Spare Ribs
- 4 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Mix everything together using your hands to ensure the ribs are fully coated
- Turn the barbecue to a moderate heat and place the ribs over the grill
- Cook for around 30 minutes and be sure to turn frequently.
- Brush the ribs with any left-over mixture.
- Serve with coleslaw and corn on the cob.
So now you know how to cook spare ribs in the oven and on the BBQ, why not take a look at our blog for more fantastic recipes? We have plenty to inspire you. Whether you are looking for a feast for the whole family or a delectable meal for one, you will find something to tantalise your tastebuds.